Thursday, July 14, 2011

Best Bread Machine Bread

So a few weeks back, I bought a bread machine (at a garage sale for $10 of course!) and today I decided to take it on a trial run to: a) make sure that it worked, b) figure out how to work it, and c) decide if it is worth it to bring to school with me.
My bread maker

So I decided to make bread.


my bread (after cutting a slice to try)
Which I started by reading the manual I got when I bought it, which was hunky-dory except that it only has one recipe in it and the recipe called for buttermilk which I didn't have... So I turned to the trusty internet, and found this recipe on Allrecipes.com after a Google search for "bread machine recipe".   Its called "Best Bread Machine Bread" and while I'm not sure if it really is the best, I think its pretty good.  (I mistimed it and it was just finished baking as I had to leave for work, so I didn't have time to let it set for 30 minutes before cutting it, but it still tasted warm and homemade.




Best Bread Machine Bread

Makes 1-1/2 pound loaf
From Allrecipes.com

  • 1 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
  • 2 tablespoons white sugar
  • 1 (.25 ounce) package bread machine yeast
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 3 cups bread flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt

  • Place the water, sugar and yeast in the pan of the bread machine. Let the yeast dissolve and foam for 10 minutes. Add the oil, flour and salt to the yeast. Select Basic or White Bread setting, and press Start.


My conclusion: yum! It was super easy to make the bread, basically just throwing everything into the bucket (just don't try and save time by dropping the salt in the oil, that doesn't really work because salt won't dissolve in oil...) and pressing start.  Assuming that I have space (both in the car and in my apartment) I totally want to bring my bread maker.

No comments:

Post a Comment